2nd Wimborne Scout Group
As far as we can confirm from records, the Group was started on the 8th March 1946; it was slightly unusual in the fact that the Wolf Cub Pack was formed first and then the Scout Troop. The Group was started in connection with St. John`s Church, and met in the old school hall.
Like all Groups it saw many changes, perhaps one of the most significant of those was the Advance Party Report in 1968 which saw the first real change in Scouting since Baden Powell founded the Scout Movement in 1907. Out went shorts, out went large hats, in came berets and long trousers, Venture scouts were formed for those over 16 and a new and modern programme was introduced.
The next real change or addition came in 1986 with the Beaver section starting. Three years later, official headgear was abolished for all sections.
The Group continued to meet in the Church Hall, but had tried for many years to have its own HQ; with the demise of the Railways, vacant land became available, and the group was granted a plot where the old British Rail Goods sidings stood. The slab was laid in 2003 and building work completed a couple of years later.
Our Scout Headquarters, a modern, purpose built, building was officially opened in 2005 although meetings were held in it for a few months prior to that.
The Group has continued to flourish in its new home.